Owning a home has many benefits, but the most rewarding part of homeownership is that you have the luxury of private space without neighbors intruding on your doorstep. However, you must make your home comfortable first before you can fully function in it. To make your home comfortable, furnishings must first be installed.
If you have a second floor in your home, you must install railings. You don’t want to suffer a fall when going up or down the stairs, and you certainly don’t want that to happen to anyone else—making the installation of a railing necessary.
Most railings are made out of wood or steel, but glass railings are also an option. However, glass can break easily, which is an area of concern for many homeowners.
That said, are glass railings safe to use for your home? We’re here to shed some light on the matter. Read on below to learn more.
The Rundown on Glass Railings
Glass railings, aside from their practical uses, can also be an excellent way to add value and luxury to your home. It can also be installed in the same vein as steel and wooden railings—these include stairs, decks, balconies, and porches.
As stated earlier, the area of concern for glass railings is that they may be fragile. The good news is that it’s very far from the truth. Glass railings are very durable and require little to no maintenance, making them the perfect choice for your luxury home.
The Types of Glass Railings
There are two types of glass railings, both of which offer unique advantages and disadvantages.
- Framed Glass Railings: The glass panels are held together by a frame, adding an extra layer of safety from the aesthetic. The frames come in a variety of materials, such as metal to aluminum. Framed glass railings are the perfect choice for stair railings because the top is durable.
- Frameless Glass Railings: As the name suggests, the glass panels aren’t held in place with a frame. It also has no borders, which is ideal if you want to enjoy the view. Despite their aesthetic value, frameless glass railings are not a good option for indoor staircases because there’s no secure spot to hold on to when going up or down the stairs.
Glass Railing Safety
We’ve mentioned earlier that glass railings are perfectly safe, but allow us to elaborate more on that. The glass used when making glass railings isn’t just any type of glass, but tempered glass.
Tempered glass raises the safety factor because it’s up to four times stronger than regular glass. Aside from that, there’s also the bonus of no deterioration because glass doesn’t deteriorate in the first place.
Why Install Glass Railings?
- Gives Your Home a Modern Aesthetic: Glass railings give any home a sleek, modern look because of its physical appearance.
- Adds Value to Your Property: Depending on the quality, Glass railings can increase your home’s value. This can be handy if you intend on selling your home in the future.
- Very Easy to Clean: Glass railings can last for a very long time, and the only maintenance you’ll ever do is the occasional wiping to clean the dust away.
- Offers Customization Options: Glass railings come in a wide variety of options, which is why homeowners can choose not just based on their home’s style but also on their budgets. Metal frames might cost you, but other types of frames will be suitable for your budget.
Glass railings are an excellent choice if you want to level up your home’s interior appearance. They come in different styles, so you can pick one that’s excellent for your home. They’re also completely safe, so there’s nothing to worry about!
Signature Glass Creations take pride in providing top-quality glass railing installation services. We believe that every home deserves to be beautiful, which is why we do our best to elevate your home’s appearance through the glass. Contact us today to learn more!